AN INTRODUCTION TO EFL (ENGLISH AS A FOREIGN LANGUAGE) TEACHING
GRADO EN MAESTRO EN EDUCACIÓN PRIMARIA
1. Datos de la asignatura(Fecha última modificación: 07-05-22 19:13)
- Segundo Semestre
- FILOLOGÍA INGLESA
- Filología Inglesa
- Plataforma Virtual
Datos del profesorado
- María Sonsoles Sánchez-reyes Peñamaría
- E.U. Educación y Turismo de Ávila
- Horario de tutorías
- URL Web
2. Sentido de la materia en el plan de estudios
Bloque formativo al que pertenece la materia.
Mención de Lengua Inglesa
Papel de la asignatura.
Maestro de Educación Primaria Mención Lengua Extranjera Inglés.
3. Recomendaciones previas
Activities in this course will be conducted in English, so students are expected to have at least a B1 entry level of English according to the Common European Framework for Languages (CEFR): http://www.coe.int/T/DG4/Linguistic/CADRE_EN.asp
Students are recommended to develop their listening, speaking, reading and writing skills in English to reach at least a B2 level according to the CEFR.
4. Objetivo de la asignatura
On completion of this course, students must be able to
- understand the basic principles in which the teaching of a foreign language is based
- reflect upon the teaching and learning process of a foreign language
- use a wide range of activities and resources available to English language teachers
- become familiar with classroom English
- introduce language awareness activities
- analyse, use and adapt existing resources on the market: textbooks, flashcards, posters, stories, songs, plays, rhymes, etc.
- use the specific terminology that is central to English language teaching
- understand the methods, strategies and techniques used in primary education and assume the role of the EFL teacher.
- produce home/class-made materials
- evaluate teaching materials
The contents of these subjects will be mainly based on the Teaching Knowledge Test developed by Cambridge ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages).
MODULE 1. A framework for language learning and teaching. Describing language, language skills and a background to language teaching. ELT terminology.
MODULE 2. Lesson Plans and Work Units. Selection and Use of Resources and Materials.
MODULE 3: Classroom Management. Appropriate Use of English in the Classroom, Teacher Roles, Grouping Students, Correcting Learners and Giving Feedback.
6. Competencias a adquirir
Básicas / Generales.
DP 28 To be able to express oneself orally and in writing in English language to at least a B1 level according to the Common European Framework.
DI 20 To promote interest in the English language at the initial stage.
DP 29 To introduce English language content in the syllabus through appropriate teaching resources and to develop the relevant student competences.
BI 27 To become familiar with various international English as a foreign language teaching situations and strategies.
- To develop skills in listening, speaking, reading comprehension and writing in English.
- To give instructions and present activities in the foreign language classroom.
- To communicate orally in English on topics within their professional area.
- To participate in and to develop brief conversations on a one-to-one basis or in small groups, being able to express and defend personal opinions on different topics.
- to introduce students to the specific terminology that is central to English language teaching and to use suitable vocabulary for a specific context
- to introduce students to the main approaches to ELT and to reflect upon the teaching and learning process of a foreign language
- to offer students a wide range of activities and resources available to English language teachers
- to familiarise students with materials and activities that give students the opportunity to explore the concepts that have been introduced from a theoretical perspective
- to understand the methods, strategies and techniques used in primary education and assume the role of the EFL teacher
- to become familiar with classroom English
BP 11 To become familiar with the processes of interaction and communication in the classroom.
BP 13 To promote cooperative work and individual effort.
BP 17 To become familiar with innovative teaching experiences in primary education and apply them.
BP 19 To become familiar with basic techniques and methodologies of educational research and be able to design innovative projects through the identification of evaluation criteria.
Students will be expected to prepare and participate in those activities presented by the teacher or by other classmates. They will be asked to complete the tasks assigned throughout the course, such as microteaching sessions, giving short oral presentations, producing individual essays and producing didactic activities to be presented in the classroom. They will also be expected to put into practice the instructions commented on in the group tutorials and to develop strategies for ongoing self-study of a foreign language.
8. Previsión de Técnicas (Estrategias) Docentes
Libros de consulta para el alumno.
Spratt, Pulverness and Williams (2011) The TKT Course. (2nd Edition). Cambridge University Press.
Otras referencias bibliográficas, electrónicas o cualquier otro tipo de recurso.
BOWEN, T. & J. MARK (1994) Inside Teaching. Heinemann
GOMEZ MORÓN, R. et al (Eds.) (2009) Pragmatics Applied to Language Teaching and Learning. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing
HARMER, J. (1998) How to Teach English. Harlow: Pearson
HARMER, J. (2007) The Practice of English Language Teaching. Harlow: Pearson SCRIVENER, J. (2005) Learning Teaching. (2nd edition) London: Heinemann TANNER, R. et al (1998) Tasks for Teacher Education Coursebook. Harlow: Longman
Assessment will be continuous, so participation in class, regular work and attendance at classes and tutorials will be compulsory. More than half of the final mark will be based on students’ individual and group work.
Criterios de evaluación.
Final mark will be comprised of:
- Regular attendance and active participation: 20 %
- Individual or pair presentations: 30 %
- Final exam: 50 %
Instrumentos de evaluación.
Written exams, listening practices, oral presentations and expositions, individual papers and other requirements.
Recomendaciones para la evaluación.
Apart from the theoretical content of the subject, students will be asked to develop strategies for ongoing self-study of the English language. Regular practice of the four skills is highly recommended.
Recomendaciones para la recuperación.
Individual suggestions and remedial action will be provided according to the linguistic profile and diagnosed weaknesses of each student.