POLITICS OF GLOBAL SOUTH
GRADO EN ESTUDIOS GLOBALES/GLOBAL STUDIES
1. Subject Information(Date last modified: 18-04-23 17:31)
- Second semester
- CIENCIA POLÍTICA Y DE LA ADMINISTRACIÓN
- Derecho Público General
- Virtual platform
- Angela Suarez Collado
- Fac. Derecho
- Office hours
- By appointment
- Web address
- Ext. 1616
2. Association of the subject matter within the study plan
Curricular area to which the subject matter pertains.
Elective course in the BA in Global Studies
Purpose of the subject within the curricular area and study plan.
Elective course that provides the student with the necessary tools to analyze the current political dynamics of the regions of the Global South: Africa, the Arab-Islamic world and Asia
Different fields such as media, think tanks, consulting, national or international agencies and non-governmental organizations.
4. Learning objectives
The main objective of the course is to provide students with an overview of the contemporary political systems of some of the most relevant countries of the Global South, as well as the main political actors, institutions, processes that take place in them.
- Introduction to Global South’s politics
- Discourses and Political Thought from the Global South
- Challenges in the Global South
- Morocco: An Authoritarian Monarchy
- Tunisia: The Challenges of Political Transition
- Egypt: From Revolution to Counter-Revolution
- Lebanon: A Religious-Based Consociationalism
- The Israeli-Palestinian Conflict
- Iran: A Theocratic Republic
- India and Pakistan: From the Colonial to the Postcolonial
- China and Hong Kong: one country, two systems
- Nigeria and South Africa: The Two African Giants
- Ethiopia: A Country in Political Turmoil
- The Pieces of Sierra Leone's Puzzle
- Debates and news analysis.
- Critical discussion on documentaries, films and academic papers.
- Active learning activities
6. Competences acquired
Basic / General.
Ability to reflect on political issues
Ability to analyze empirical information
Ability to link empirical analyses and normative reflections
Ability to present ideas and debate on them
Analysis of political systems
7. Teaching methods
8. Anticipated distribution of the use of the different teaching methods
- Practical activities: 50%
Guidelines in the case of failing the subject.
The requirements will be the same for the second round of evaluations.