CLIL IN THE ENGLISH CLASSROOM (CLIL EN EL AULA DE INGLÉS)
Grado en Maestro de Educación Primaria (Zamora)Curso 2019/2020
1. Datos de la asignatura(Fecha última modificación: 14-06-19 21:11)
- Primer Semestre
- FILOLOGÍA INGLESA
- Filología Inglesa
- Plataforma Virtual
Datos del profesorado
- Ramiro Durán Martínez
- Filología Inglesa
- Filología Inglesa
- E.U. Magisterio de Zamora
- Horario de tutorías
- URL Web
- 980545000 Ext. 3626
2. Sentido de la materia en el plan de estudios
Bloque formativo al que pertenece la materia.
Mención de Lengua Inglesa
Papel de la asignatura.
Maestro de Educación Primaria/Infantil con Mención en Lengua Inglesa.
3. Recomendaciones previas
Activities in this course will be conducted in English, so students are expected to have at least a B1 entry level of English according to the Common European Framework for Languages (CEFR): http://www.coe.int/T/DG4/Linguistic/CADRE_EN.asp
Students are recommended to develop their listening, speaking, reading and writing skills in English to reach at least a B2 level according to the CEFR.
4. Objetivo de la asignatura
On completion of this course, students must be able to:
- get involved in the integrated curriculum within the Spanish state education system and its implementation
- understand the CLIL approach: origins, rationale and case studies
- develop CLIL teaching materials and use strategies for specific subject content in English: P.E., Arts and Crafts, Science, etc.
- use a wide range of the CLIL-based activities and resources available
- produce home/class-made CLIL materials
- evaluate CLIL teaching materials
- plan and assess a CLIL-based syllabus
- be familiar with international teaching programmes (school twinning schemes, Comenius, international exchange programmes, etc.)
The contents of this subject will be mainly based on the following sources:
1) Teaching Knowledge Test. CLIL Module developed by Cambridge ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) exams
2) Using languages to learn and learning to use languages (2000) David Marsh
3) Clil: A new model for language teaching (2007) Susan House
MODULE 1. A window on CLIL: Origins and rationale. What is CLIL? How is it a different model? What does CLIL claim to do? How many models are there? What kind of problems can we find when implementing the CLIL approach?
MODULE 2. Knowledge and principles of CLIL: communication, cognitive and learning skills across the curriculum. Evaluating, assembling and modifying CLIL materials.
MODULE 3. Lesson Preparation and Lesson Delivery. Planning a Lesson, Language Demands of Subject Content, Materials Selection and Adaptation, Classroom Language. Monitoring and evaluating CLIL in action.
MODULE 4. Assessment in CLIL. Types of assessment. Support strategies for assessment. Summary of assessment principles.
6. Competencias a adquirir
Básicas / Generales.
- DP 28 To be able to express oneself orally and in writing in English language to at least a B1 level according to the Common European Framework.
- DI 20 To promote interest in the English language at the initial stage.
- DP 29 To introduce English language content in the syllabus through appropriate
teaching resources and to develop the relevant student competences.
- BI 27 To become familiar with various international English as a foreign language teaching situations and strategies.
- To develop skills in listening, speaking, reading comprehension and writing in English.
- To give instructions and present activities in the foreign language classroom.
- To communicate orally in English on topics within their professional area.
- To participate in and to develop brief conversations on a one-to-one basis or in small groups, being able to express and defend personal opinions on different topics.
- To introduce students to the specific terminology that is central to CLIL
- To introduce students to some the main approaches and activities in CLIL and to think about their possible uses
- To offer students a wide range of resources available to CLIL teachers
- To familiarise students with materials and activities that give students the opportunity to explore the concepts that have been introduced from a theoretical perspective
- BP 11 To become familiar with the processes of interaction and communication in the classroom.
- BP 13 To promote cooperative work and individual effort.
- BP 17 To become familiar with innovative teaching experiences in primary education and apply them.
- BP 19 To become familiar with basic techniques and methodologies of educational research and be able to design innovative projects through the identification of evaluation criteria.
Students will be expected to prepare and participate in those activities presented by the teacher or by other classmates. They will be asked to complete the tasks assigned throughout the course, such as microteaching sessions, giving short oral presentations, producing individual essays and producing didactic activities to be presented in the classroom. They will also be expected to put into practice the instructions commented on in the group tutorials and to develop strategies for ongoing self-study of a foreign language.
8. Previsión de Técnicas (Estrategias) Docentes
Libros de consulta para el alumno.
BENTLEY, K. (2010) The TKT Course. CLIL Module. Cambridge University Press.
MARSH, D. (2000) Using languages to learn and learning to use languages.
HOUSE, S. (2007) Clil: A new model for language teaching in Durán Martínez y Sánchez-Reyes Peñamaría (Eds.) El componente lingüístico en la didáctica de la lengua inglesa. Ediciones Universidad de Salamanca.
Otras referencias bibliográficas, electrónicas o cualquier otro tipo de recurso.
BELTRÁN LLAVADOR, F. (2010) “'Content teaching and teaching con'tent through English” in Durán Martínez y Sánchez-Reyes Peñamaría (Eds.) Linguistic Tools for Teachers of English towards a bilingual education. Ediciones Universidad de Salamanca.
BENTLEY, K. (2009) Primary Curriculum Box. Cambridge University Press.
COYLE, HOOD and MARSH (2010) CLIL. Cambridge University Press.
DAFOUZ and GERRINI (2009) CLIL across educational levels. London: Richmond.
DELLER and PRICE (2007) Teaching Other Subjects Through English. Oxford University Press.
EUROPEAN COMMISION (2005) CLIL at Schools in Europe. Directorate-General for Education and Culture.
GUTIÉRREZ, BELTRÁN AND DURÁN (2010) Un proyecto de aprendizaje integrado de contenidos y lengua inglesa: Cristobal Colón / A content and language integrated learning project: Christopher Columbus. Ediciones Universidad de Salamanca.
HARMER, J. (2007) The Practice of English Language Teaching. Harlow: Pearson
MEHISTO, MARSCH and FRIGOLS (2008) Uncovering CLIL. Oxford: MacMillan
SCRIVENER, J. (2005) Learning Teaching. (2nd edition) London: Heinemann
References for a story-based CLIL approach:
BARRIE, J.M.(1995) Peter Pan. London: Penguin.
KIPLING, R. (1993) The Jungle Book. Hertfordshire: Wordsworth Editions.
MILNE, A.A. (1997) Winnie´the´Pooh. London: Methren Children Books.
POTTER, B. (1993) The Tailor of Gloucester. London: Frederick Warne.
TRAVERS, P.L. (1998) Mary Poppins. London: Harper Collins.
WILDE, O. (1994) "The Selfish Giant" in The Happy Prince and Other Tales.London: Penguin.
Assessment will be continuous, so participation in class, regular work, attendance at classes and the completion of all classroom tasks and assignments will be compulsory.
Criterios de evaluación.
Final mark will be comprised of:
- Regular attendance and active participation: 20 %
- Class presentation (individually or in small groups): 30 %
- Final exam (test and open questions) : 50 %
Instrumentos de evaluación.
Written exams, listening practices, oral presentations and expositions, individual papers and other requirements.
Recomendaciones para la evaluación.
Apart from the theoretical content of the subject, students will be asked to develop strategies for ongoing self-study of the English language. Regular practice of the four skills is highly recommended.
Recomendaciones para la recuperación.
Individual suggestions and remedial action will be provided according to the linguistic profile and diagnosed weaknesses of each student.